The Amazing Avocado
Persea Americana or Avocado is not like any other fruit. The majority of the fruits are rich in carbohydrates and sugars whereas an Avocado packs plenty of healthy fats. This green wonder is loaded with many other essential nutrients. It gives your food an ideal texture. Avocado is the main ingredient of the famous Mexican dish, Guacamole. There are many varieties from Green to Black in color. The most popular one is the Hass Avocado. Many people also call it ‘alligator pear’ due to its green color and pear-shaped bumpy skin.
Avocados mostly grow in Mediterranean and tropical climates. They are only partially pollinating and need manual intervention for mass cultivation and achieve the highest standards of quality. Mexico produces about one-third of the total avocados in the world.
Health Benefits of Avocado
● Avocados may prevent Cancer
The test-tube studies have shown that this incredible fruit can inhibit the growth of prostate cancer cells. The research work gives big hopes to successfully put up a fight against this deadly disease. However, the trials are only on isolated cells for now and human test results are still awaited.
● Avocados may relieve symptoms of Arthritis
Arthritis is a common disease most prevalent in the western world. Avocados with soya bean oil extracts are believed to alleviate the symptoms of Arthritis.
● Avocados are a Weight Loss friendly food
The superfood is stuffed with many healthy agents responsible for weight loss. A single serving of Avocado a few hours before a meal can help you avoid overeating. They are high in fiber and low in carbohydrates, a combination that is very essential to trigger weight loss.
● Avocados are loaded with Antioxidants
The antioxidants such as carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin are abundantly found in Avocados. These antioxidants flush out all the toxins from the body. The health care experts recommend eating Avocados to get healthy eyes and shimmering skin.
● Avocados may lower Cholesterol
Heart disease causes the most deaths in the world. The unsafe levels of cholesterol, triglycerides, and inflammatory markers increase the underlying health risk. The final verdict of many studies conducted on Avocado concludes that it can lower the LDL (bad cholesterol) by 22%, boost the HDL (good cholesterol) by 11%, and reduce the triglycerides by about 20%.
Some Interesting Facts about Avocado
● It is the only fruit with high fat and protein content. A single piece that weighs about 400 g may contain as high as 4 g of protein.
● When an Avocado gets ripe it changes color from green to dark green and sometimes even appears black. To quickly ripen them you can place them in a paper bag and cover with banana.
● Avocados grow on trees but they only mature once they are taken off the tree.
● Avocados contain the highest-fiber percentage of any fruit.
A 100 G Serving Of Avocado Typically Delivers
● 26% of the DV (Daily Value) of vitamin K
● 20% of the DV of Folate
● 17% of the DV of vitamin C
● 14% of the DV of potassium
● 14% of the DV of vitamin B6
● 10% of the DV of vitamin E
It also proffers a good dose of magnesium, zinc, copper, iron, phosphorous, vitamin A, thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), and niacin (B3). The fruit also increases your calorie count by about 150-200 points. Avocados do not contain any sodium or cholesterol and are also very low on saturated fats.
Undoubtedly, Avocado is a healthy addition to your diet. This unique fruit provides more benefits than you can imagine. It is an excellent food that fulfills much of your daily nutrient requirement. Above all, it just melts in your mouth and tastes fantastic.