The South Beach Diet
The South Beach Diet is all about removing refined carbs, such as white flour or sugar. It was created for heart patients in the United States, in an attempt to lessen their symptoms with the aid of a healthy diet. But it soon gained popularity since it turned out to be quite efficient as a weight loss plan.
How does the South Beach diet plan function?
There are three stages of the South Beach diet. But mostly, patients are advised to focus on a low-GI diet, with little to no intake of sugar or starch. Also, the first phase of the South Beach diet is meant to offer rapid weight loss in less than two weeks.
Stage one of the South Beach diet
The first step of the South Beach diet is about cutting sugar and starch, along with almost all carbohydrates. This is meant to start the weight loss process rapidly in the body, as it will be prone to burn more fat than usual.
It is recommended to add to your diet lean protein sources, like seafood, skinless poultry, lean beef, or soy products. And foods such as pasta, rice, bread, fruit, or alcohol are forbidden. Also, you are allowed to eat high-fiber legumes, low-fat dairy, or anything else that is rich in healthy unsaturated fats, including avocados or nuts.
An example for the first stage South Beach day meal plan can be as it follows:
#1 Breakfast – scrambled eggs with smoked salmon/ baked eggs with spinach, accompanied by a cup of coffee or tea
#2 Lunch – seafood salad with a cup of sparkling water
#3 Dinner – grilled fish/ pork seasoned with grilled vegetables and a salad
#4 Dessert – ricotta cheesecake or an espresso custard
#5 In between meals snacks – turkey roll-up or roasted chickpeas
Stage two of the South Beach diet
From this point on, you will be allowed to add wholegrain carbohydrates again to your meals. You can eat brown bread, pasta, or rice, while a lot of fruits are included, too. Specialists say that it is best to keep up this stage, up until you reach your desired weight goal.
Stage three of the South Beach diet
Even though from this point on, you are allowed to eat everything you’d like, it is best to follow the suggestions of phases one and two of this diet carefully. The purpose is to make better food choices, and op for lean protein, veggies, healthy oils. Also, it is quite essential to design your meals in correct portions. Besides, desserts, alcohol, or sugary drinks should remain unacceptable for the best long-lasting results.
How to start the South Beach diet
Enrolling in a new meal plan can be quite challenging. This is why many people perceive phase one of this diet extremely restrictive. Yet to make this diet work wonders for you, you can adopt one of the following tips that will ease your path towards success:
· Add to your pantry your favorite foods allowed in the first stage of the South Beach diet. So, to start and follow this diet carefully, it is best to think about your meals ahead of time. Allow an hour per week to check the grocery store for the tastiest vegetables, and fill your pantry with the most appealing ones.
· Remove all forbidden foods from your kitchen. You need to do this to avoid the temptation of eating something that is not allowed in the first stage of the South Beach diet. Check your fridge and pantry and remove anything that is not suitable for your new weight loss plan.
· Besides adopting a healthy meal plan, it is best to enroll in a daily exercise routine. Staying active will make you less prone to cravings while it can take your mind away from foods.
· Cook your own meals. Being creative in the kitchen will make you enjoy even more the specially designed dishes for the South Beach diet. Don’t be afraid to tackle new recipes, and include all sorts of the ingredients allowed in phase one of the diet.
· Check the recommended portion size. For the South Beach Diet to be successful, you will have to follow the recommended serving size. As an example, in phase one, you will be allowed only 2 cups of dairy products or only one serving of nuts.
While several celebrities say that this was the best weight loss plan they’ve ever followed, it is worth taking into account that each body reaction distinctly to such restrictions. So, it is essential to pay attention to your body’s responses to adding carbs. The South Beach Diet features a wide array of foods, but this doesn’t necessarily mean you should indulge in fasting after phase one is finished. The success of the South Beach diet comes from eating smaller portions and enjoying every little bite of your dish.