Alcohol Consumption Vs. Health - What Do You Think?
There are many studies that talk about the likely advantages and disadvantages of drinking alcohol. While alcohol consumption has some beneficial effects on the heart and other parts of our body, there are some health risks and critical effects. Here, in this blog post, we’ll discuss how alcohol consumption affects your health – its benefits and backdrops. Let’s start with the benefits of drinking alcohol.
Alcohol Consumption: What Are The Benefits?
- Drinking alcohol in moderate quantity has been linked to many positive results. In line with the research, drinking alcohol, especially wine, has ability to lessen your peril of heart disease, gallstone development, type-2 diabetes, etc. Apart from this it can also get better your metabolism to some extent.
- If we talk about red wine, it comes with resveratrol and antioxidants and bioflavonoids and polyphenols that help in opening the arteries and decreasing soreness. It is always good to be cautious when ordering a glass or two of wine at a restaurant as these are usually far bigger than one serving size.
- It may surprise but it is true that alcohol can be part of your diet for healthy heart if you consume it in a responsible way. And here drinking in responsible way may stand for drinking less than you think. In addition to this moderate amount of drinking alcohol for women is up to 1 drink a day, and for men it's 2 drinks a day. As per the health experts, 1 drink is 5 ounces of wine or 12 ounces of beer.
Expert’s Advice: As benefits of alcohol consumption are quite restricted and it can do good to you only when you drink less, you are not on any sort of medication, you don’t have any ailment related to liver, and during pregnancy as well. Also, never think of starting to take alcohol for its health advantages. Instead of this you can consider following the Mediterranean diet that also takes account of fruits & veggies.
Alcohol Consumption: What are the Disadvantages?
- Where moderate drinking can look after the health of your heart, more is of course not better. Alcohol can make the triglyceride levels higher, an unsafe fat present in the blood, which can cause higher BP.
- For your information, some people are likely to have a condition known as holiday heart syndrome that leads to uneven heartbeats when they drink alcohol. However, some of those people can drink a little devoid of activating such condition.
- Apart from the above, drinking wine in huge quantity can also be the reason of gaining weight. And alcohol can be harmful to the kidneys and liver also, mainly for those who take certain medicines, like statins to maintain or reduce the levels of cholesterol.
- What is more, some studies also relate drinking alcohol to an augmented risk for some particular types of cancers, asthma, and allergies. In addition to this, it can also trouble those who are under medication for maintaining or reducing the blood sugar like insulin. And this is for the reason that alcohol can cause blood sugar levels to go down randomly, which can of course be risky for your health.