5 Benefits Of Ayurvedic Face Massage And How To Do It
Our everyday encounters with junk food, pollution, stress, lack of enough sleep, too much work pressure take a toll on our skin. What comes out is not always apparent but hurts nonetheless. Our skin goes through repeated damage and looks more mature than it actually is. Cosmetic solutions prove highly inadequate in addressing these issues or even for proper hydration. Ayurveda offers a holistic solution in the form of facial massage that not only takes care of your skin but also reduces stress, boosts your confidence, and promotes overall well-being. Facial massage is considered integral to personal life in Ayurveda, a part of the daily routine for enhancing beauty and health while preventing various skin issues beforehand. Let's have a closer look.
1. Moisturizes And Tones Facial Muscles
This is the most obvious one, but also the most important one. Inadequate hydration is the root cause of all skin problems. Dry skin is uncomfortable and activates oil glands. Applying too much oil and cream can clog pores and cause breakouts. Ayurvedic face massage strikes the right balance between proper hydration and oil control. It deeply nourishes the skin and opens the pores, which encourages the better absorption of oils and creams.
2. Activates Marma Points
The primary aim of facial massage is to activate all marma (ayurvedic acupressure) points on the face. Marma points are vital energy points located at different parts of the body, with each point stimulating a certain reaction from body and mind. Activating marma points is important as this supports the elimination of toxins and the healthy functioning of the circulatory and nervous system.
3.Rejuvenates Aging Skin
The combined effect of massage and activated marma points detoxifies, strengthens, and tightens facial muscles. Antioxidant properties of oils and herbs rejuvenate aging skin and prevent the premature appearance of wrinkles. Some oils such as rosehip and argan are great at improving the elasticity of the skin. Also, they can be mixed with antiaging essential oils to enhance their potency.
4.Prevents Breakouts And Reduces Scar Marks
Ayurvedic herbs and oils have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities. They prevent and treat pimples, acne, skin diseases, and reduce their marks. Furthermore, daily nourishment does away with the need for creams and lotions, unburdening your skin from harsh chemicals and preservatives interfering with the skin's PH levels.
5.Reduces Stress And Increases The Sense Of Well-Being
Daily massage relieves tension build-up in the facial muscles. It is profoundly relaxing and has a grounding effect on the mind. Activation of marma points enables the flow of vital energy, which in turn boosts mood and self-confidence.
How To Give Yourself A Face Massage
· Preparation: Wash your face with warm water and pat dry. Warm the oil. Do not apply too much heat as that would destroy their therapeutic properties.
· Take a small amount of oil between your palm and fingertips.
· Starting with the center of the brows, massage your forehead in upward and outward strokes. Repeat this step three times.
· Make long gentle strokes from the collar bone towards the chin. Repeat three times.
· With two fingers, trace along the jawbone towards the ear, in unidirectional long gentle strokes. This relieves any tension build-up in the area.
· Gently massage your cheeks, nose, under eyes, and rest of the face with wide circular strokes. Take a copious amount of oil and do not hurt yourself by rubbing vigorously.
· The whole massage process should take 3-5 mins.
· Keep the oil on the face for 15-20 mins. Wash with warm water. No need to use soap as oils have cleansing properties as well.
To get the most out of your daily face massage, combine Ayurveda with the power of aromatherapy. Try and test which essential oils are best suited for your skin and use them to your advantage. Make this simple and effective massage a part of your daily routine, and you will reap the benefits in no time.